Thursday, January 30, 2014

Attaboy!

As I have grown in my walk with the Lord I have matured in my expectations and perspective. I appreciate the input that my pastor has had in my life. Early in ministry when I encountered a 'word' from the Lord or had some fresh revelation I assumed that if God was speaking to me then He must be speaking to everyone. With much grace and good advice he was able to temper my enthusiasm. See just like infants progress into toddlers, into children, into adolescents, into teenagers into young adults we as Christians go through (or at least we should) a similar spiritual progression.

For instance I used to long for the day when I hear God say, "well done good and faithful servant" (Matthew 25) but now after a couple of decades of following Christ I've raised my expectations. When all is said and done, when I have finished the race that God has given me to run I hope to hear Him say, "This is my son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased" (Matthew 17).

There are a few questions in life that must be answered and how we answer them impacts everything.

  1. Who is God?
  2. How does God see me?
  3. Who am I living to please?

There was a time in my life when I only saw myself as a servant, but now I see myself as a son. Makes sense when you read the following passage -

“Now I say, as long as the heir is a child, he does not differ at all from a slave although he is owner of everything, but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by the father. So also we, while we were children, were held in bondage under the elemental things of the world. But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.” - Galatians 4:1-7

See both a servant and a son desire to do well and be commended, but each work from a different motivation. One from a sense of duty or obligation and the other because of relationship. It is different working for a company than it is in the family business. When it comes to the Kingdom we are more than just people punching a clock, we are fully invested stakeholders!

"For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends." - 2 Corinthians 10:18

My prayer is that you are able to see yourself as God sees you, not with arrogance but with humble confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Promises.

Earlier this week I was working on a log cabin I have for sale. As I was driving over to crawl back under the house for the 3rd day this is ...