Friday, April 21, 2017

100%

I have a good friend who recently asked me what the key to giving God 100% was. He said he felt like he had given 95% but couldn’t quite get the ‘old man’ to give up that last 5%. I’ve given it a lot of thought and this morning I responded to him. I thought it might be something others would find helpful. This is what I sent him –

“I get this sense that God still has more for you so don't ever settle into 'the routine' and think that you've 'arrived'. I've been in ministry since 1996. I've pastored since 1998. All that matters is today. Will I pick up my cross today? Will I follow him wholeheartedly today? Will I press into relationship with him today and seek his will today? I think that is the key to 100% surrender. And do we live out of the finished work of Christ on the cross or are we still trying to prove something as if that wasn't enough.”

At 18 I rededicated my life to Jesus. I guess to describe it more accurately I submitted my life to him as Lord. I cannot remember a time in my life where I did not believe in Jesus and recognize my need for his forgiveness. I liked the idea of not going to hell as much as the next guy. But I also liked being in control. Therein lies the conundrum – how can he save us if we won’t allow him to?

“And He summoned the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.” – Mark 8:34 NASB

It’s been almost 25 years since I became a Jesus freak; 20 of those in ministry. I’ve read the Bible dozens of times. I’ve preached hundreds of sermons to tens of thousands of people and shared the Gospel on five continents. I’ve had the honor of leading countless people to Christ and witnessed more miracles than I can remember with my own eyes. And with all of that I can only ask myself, “What does God desire of me today? How can I express my love and devotion to him today?”

The friend I mentioned is a full time missionary. He and his family left the American Dream behind to chase after something greater. Most people would see that as giving 110%. But for those who are passionate about being passionate yesterday’s encounters will never satisfy today’s cravings. It’s not about rules and regulations or jumping through a bunch of religious hoops. 100% is all about relationship. I think maybe that’s what the apostle Paul was talking about when he wrote the following passage -

“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 3:12-14 NIV


By the way if you want to learn more about my friends and their ministry you can CLICK HERE and you can support them with an online gift you at mylifeway.net. Just choose the ‘Bunnows in Papua New Guinea’ option. Thanks and God bless!

1 comment:

  1. I am honing in on 100% and get closer each day. Yesterday I was painting in the basement in preparation for furlough, and a friend came over wanting me to "help" change his brake pads. There was no warning, it was another of those "instant" demands on my time. And therein lies my problem. I look at it as "my" time, when in actuality, each moment of life and each breath I take belongs to MY Father. He gives them to me. He quickly reminded me on the spot of this and once again, "It is Well With My Soul. Each day presents more of these decisions to do "my" thing, or "God's" thing. May He always redirect me when my mind chooses poorly.

    Tom (in Papua New Guinea)

    ReplyDelete

God's Promises.

Earlier this week I was working on a log cabin I have for sale. As I was driving over to crawl back under the house for the 3rd day this is ...