Saturday, September 28, 2019

Running With Friends.


My Crossfit coach had been bugging me to run the Mountain Heritage Day 5K for a couple of weeks. I finally relented and signed up late last night. So I was up early this morning heading to Western Carolina University where I met up with several of my friends from the gym. I got checked in, safety pinned my bid to my shirt, warmed up and waited to start. I ran with (more like chased behind) these guys for 3.1 miles of up and down (seemed like mostly up). I didn’t finish 1st or 2nd or even 3rd in our group but I did cross the finish line with the best 5K time of my life. I did pass a 9 year old in the last 50 meters so take that!



The point is these people push me to be a better version of myself. When I am ready to give up they are there to encourage and challenge me to keep pressing on. If you are the fastest/smartest/most successful person in your circle you need to make some new friends. God’s Word has a lot to say about our friends -

“The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.” - Proverbs 12:26

“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” - Proverbs 27:17

“Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” - Proverbs 13:20

“One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.“ - Proverbs 18:24

“Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”” - 1 Corinthians 15:33

In every area of our life the company that we keep will determine the heights to which we rise. That my friend is one of the reasons why we need to be actively engaged in our church. Not as a spectator, or a consumer but as a connected, contributing participant.

Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Promises.

Earlier this week I was working on a log cabin I have for sale. As I was driving over to crawl back under the house for the 3rd day this is ...