Friday, November 9, 2018

Pushing Limits


Last week we did a ‘Hero’ workout at the gym. A ‘Hero’ workout is something we do to honor someone who gave their life in service to others and they are typically ridiculously challenging. Just for some perspective here is what it looked like –

100 Burpees
200 Pushups
300 Walking Lunges
200 Squats
Run 2400 Meters (1.5 miles)

The goal was to do it as fast as possible. I did a scaled down version of about 80% and it still took me 56 minutes and change. I was spent by the end but it wasn’t until the next day that I felt the full effect. I could barely get out of bed. I can’t remember the last time I was that sore and I have been going to the gym consistently for YEARS. So of course I did what any rational person would do and went back the next day for more. Sore muscles mean that you are making progress. You are challenging yourself and that leads to growth. There have been times in the past where I my workout routine has become a rut. The things that used to challenge me no longer did.  There is nothing wrong with a routine as long as it is still moving us towards our goals.

“Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 3:13-14 NIV

We were talking about it at our Men’s LifeGroup and we realized that our spiritual life is much the same. We go to church on Sunday, pray before we eat, give in the offering and read our Bible with some regularity. Wash, rinse, repeat. Nothing wrong with any of those things but we can’t just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect to get a different result. We have to push ourselves outside of our comfort zones and step out in faith.

Just for fun let’s say you woke up even 15 minutes earlier tomorrow than you have to. First things first you greet God with a big ‘Good Morning’ and ask Him for an adventure that day. Maybe ask Him for someone to pray for, to share your testimony or to bless financially. You could even ask Him to let the Gifts of the Holy Spirit work through you as you interact with someone that day. There is so much more inside of you than you have ever realized. That isn’t a criticism, it’s a call to action.

“I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfill His purpose—I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]” – Philippians 4:13 AMP

“But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.” – Romans 8:37 NASB

You, my friend, are destined for greatness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Promises.

Earlier this week I was working on a log cabin I have for sale. As I was driving over to crawl back under the house for the 3rd day this is ...